Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It is hard to imagine life without Aunt Dorothy.

From the time I took to the stage to show off my new but undeveloped tap dancing skills at my aunt's and uncle's wedding at the age of five, Aunt Dorothy has been so much a part of my life.

As a new bride, she invited me to dinner at the new Barer residence at the Birchway Apartments, evidently baby sitting me while my parents were out. She was so gracious and I was so impressed that when the Birchway property came up for sale many years later I bought it.

It was one of the few times Uncle Dave really took me to the woodshed about a stupid buy and he was right!

I don't know if you could call it the Barer neighborhood but my grandmother and my Aunt and Uncle all lived within an easy walk of each other. Grandfather had made the move from 28 W. Chestnut to 1217 E. Isaacs not too many months before he died. Jan inherited 1217 and sold it to the school district so the the house is gone and the land is part of the Green Park school playfield.

I spent alot of time at the D. Barer residence. As a quiet kid, I found my aunt very easy to talk with probably overdoing it as one day as I was leaving she mentioned that she hated it when people said they were leaving and then stood around and yacked. I got the message.

More recently we were joint owners of a piece property. I paid the bills and Aunt Dorothy would reimburse me so her standard greeting when I would call would be, "So what do I owe you this time?" It was our joke.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Barer said...

That reminds me of when Aunt Carol took me under her wing, when she came into the picture in the mid-sixties.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home