Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Mike posted my picture that was taken a few years ago next to a 1929 Franklin ragtop. It is not my brother's but similar. It came into the world the same year I did.

My wife put together a great 80th birthday party for me at Anthony's Homeport in Kirkland. The staff there did a job far beyond the ordinary. With forty guests including those from California and Eastern Washington as well as locals, it was a night to remember.

My boys gave me a thoughtful present, an Amazon Kindle, the adjustable size print is perfect for my diplopia.

I was just listening to a local rabble rousing talk show host rail against a possible state tax hike in these troubled times. I don't like taxes any more than the next guy but it brought to mind a story Grandfather B told me.

On arriving in this country he had worked in Philadelphia where members of his family had settled. He then migrated West where other members of his family resided in Walla Walla.

In 1921 he returned to Europe to rescue his family. On his return he stopped in Philadelphia.

Looking up an old friend he was appalled that his formerly prosperous friend was obviously having financial problems.

It seems that after WWI a brief recession had undermined the value of the scrap metal he collected door to door with his horse drawn wagon.

He said he loved his old pal but things got so bad he had to retrench. To be kind to the horse he cut it's food ration by half each week and you know what? The ungrateful animal died. The man did not have money to buy another.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Barer said...

My photos from your birthday party are up on Facebook.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home