Saturday, June 30, 2007

"I Could write a book"

I guess the first symptoms I remember hearing about occured in the late 1960's.

Jean was invited to a family wedding in New York. I did not attend. I saw her off at the airport in Walla Walla.

Later, I received a call from those who were to meet her at the other end. "Where is she?". I tried calling the airline and they would share no information with me.

Her later report was that she was first told her flight would be departing late and then the passengengers were herded into a van and shuttled to Boeing field where again they waited for an aircraft to appear.

Dragging her carry-on luggage and sitting on hard benches triggered excruiating back pain. This pain continued off and on in milder form for some months.

Eventually the pain settled in the neck resulting in muscle spasms that pulled her head to one
side.

A regimen of tranquilizers and daily sessions of a counterweight attached to a pulley were of little help.

It is unbeleivable today to say there was no CAT scan no MRI available in the Northwest at that time. X-ray series could give a sort of steriopticon view approximateing was later would be much more apparent through a scan.

A neurosurgeon in the Tri-Cities revued the films. He found no apparent cause for th problem.

He did note a an unusual bone formation at the rear of the skull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home