Wednesday, March 19, 2008

This is a continuation of the previous post. If you haven't read that you may want to read it first.

With the tracheotomy complete Jean was transferred to intensive care.

In the next bed was a man. While the nurses were working with Jean, I chatted with him. He had been a professional deep sea diver. Between jobs he worked as a taxi cab driver in San Francisco. One of his clients was a pensioner who lived in a flop house in the North End. Climbing the stairs of the seedy hotel to help his fare to the cab he felt his legs collapse under him.

Somebody called the police. Since he couldn't stand, it was assumed that he was either drunk or under the influence of drugs and he was dragged down the stairs and dumped into a police car. His problem was similar to Jean's. The surgery, however, in his case was not successful and he remained paralized from the waist down.

He was sure that his encounter with the police had aggravated his problem and said he would sue. He may have gotten an appology but from what I heard him say I don't he could get much beyond that.

Jean's situation was not improving. She was transferred to a high vigilance CCU specializing in heart problems. During that period she was sent with an CCU nurse to get an MRI deep in the bowels of the hospital. On oxygen at the time there was quite a todo over finding a non magnetic oxygen tank. She could not maintain the position required for the shoot so we went back to the CCU. During the procedure, I removed my watch and wallet and put them behind the operators shield. The poor nurse forgot to take off her watch and it became magnetized.

The heart problem did run its course and she was sent back to the floor. At first the tracheostomy was a open tube limiting her ability to talk but as healing took place a cap was installed that forced the air through its normal path. The cap stayed in place during the day and was removed at night to allow maximum breathing while she slept.

A critical day arrived. A resident came in with a nurse. They eased Jean out of bed. Helping her to stand they asked her to take a step. Her feet just would not follow the instructions that the brain was sending them.

The verdict. She could bear weight on her legs but she lacked proprioception. Unless the latter improved with time and therapy she would be confined to a wheel chair. This of course was the future. The fact that she could still stand when she was held in an erect position at least made the job of assisting her much easier.

She wanted to go home. We both missed our kids. The doctors had prescribed an extensive program of rehabilitation. I told them our small hospital had one of the best in Dr. Herb Hendricks. Reluctantly, they released her.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home