Sunday, January 22, 2006

Just watched the Seahawks insure their first ever participation in the Super Bowl. Apparently, Paul Allen,s faith in Mike Holmgren is justified.

My interest, however, in this blog is not in sports but in conveying a little bit of history. Please remember that history is the memory of the reporter and is subject to challenge.

Let me give you an example. In 1959 along with other members of the family I purchased a building. Over a period of time I became the sole owner. On the face of the building was a small parapet with the name of a former owner and the date, 1887. When I put a new facade on the structure I had the mason replace the five letter name of a territorial druggist with "BARER1887". People looking at the facade will now swear that the builder must have been a member of the Barer family.

I was born and spent almost seventy years of my life in Walla Walla, Washington.

My grand uncle Isaac or Uncle Ike moved to Walla Walla about 1905 having married a widow there. With four young children to support and a business involving traveling on the back roads from farm to farm buying animal skins she needed a partner.

Neither the marriage nor the partnership was long lasting. The city directory in 1907 indicates that I. Barer operated as a sole proprietor. He had also remarried.

Things became more complex as time went on. The first of five children of this union was born and his son from an earlier marriage wedded the sister of Uncle Ike's new bride. The families moved to Montana.

My grandfather, B. Barer, moved from Philadelphia to Walla Walla in 1917 replaced his brother as a buyer of animal skins.

5 Comments:

Blogger Danny Barer said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere, Dad.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mike Barer said...

Welcome aboard. My suggestion is to try and write frequently--keep it fresh.

11:09 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Hi Dad

My suggestion is to have fun with this. I am looking forward to reading your future posts. I wish grandfather could have had something like this so we could have preserved his lifetime of memories.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Burl Barer said...

Regadring Uncle Ike -- I always heard that he married a woman twenty years younger, and that she died in childbirth or at least when the kids were very luttle. His mother-in-law, a widwow, came to help him with the children, and that he then married HER. So, I was told he married his mother-in-law, and had another child with her! While he was not his own grandpa, he was Dad, Stepdad, and even Grandad to his/her brood. Sort of The Brady Bunch goes meshugna.

Burl Barer
Burl Barer.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Dave Zarkin said...

Some memories were jogged and as a child I may have met Ike Barer but then I don't know. This is fascinating and keep writing. Visit my blog www.cheezymovies.blogspot.com

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home